‘Helping businesses to play their part in the fight against Covid-19 this Winter’
In January 2020, the World Heatlh Organisation declared the outbreak of coronavirus disease in Hubei, China. A Public Health Emergency of International Concern the World Health Organisation stated there is a high risk to other countries around the world.
All sections of our society, including businesses and employers must now play a vital role if we are to stop the spread of this horrible disease.
COVID-19 and how it spreads in your Workplace
When someone who has COVID-19 coughs or exhales they release droplets of infected fluid. Most of these droplets fall on nearby surfaces and objects - such as desks, tables, or telephones. People could catch COVID-19 by touching contaminated surfaces or objects – and then touching their eyes, nose, or mouth.
If they are standing within one meter of a person with COVID-19 they can catch it by breathing in droplets coughed out or exhaled by them. In other words, COVID-19 spreads in a similar way to flu.
Most persons infected with COVID-19 experience mild symptoms and recover. However, some go on to experience more serious illness and may require hospital care. Risk of serious illness rises with age: people over 40 seem to be more vulnerable than those under 40. People with weakened immune systems and people with conditions such as diabetes, heart and lung disease are also more vulnerable to serious illness.
Getting your workplace ready in case COVID-19 arrives in your community
- Develop a plan of what to do if someone becomes ill with suspected COVID-19 at one of your workplaces.
- Promote a ‘working at home’ plan across your organisation. If there is an outbreak of COVID-19 in your community the health authorities may advise people to avoid public transport and crowded places. Working at home will help your business keep operating while your employees stay safe.
- Develop a contingency and business continuity plan for an outbreak in the communities where your business operates.
- Be sure you address the mental health and social consequences in the workplace, or in the community and offer information/support to your employees.
Simple ways to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in your workplace
Extremely low-cost measures below will help your organisation to prevent the spread of infections in your workplace, such as colds, flu and stomach bugs, and protect not only your business operation but also your customers, contractors, visitors and employees.
Below is a helpful list of what Employers should start doing now, even if COVID-19 has not arrived in the communities where they operate. This will protect you against lost working/production days through workforce illness but at the same time help to stop or slow the spread of COVID-19 - if it arrives at one of your workplaces.
- Make sure your workplaces are clean and hygienic i.e. Surfaces (e.g. desks and tables) and objects (e.g. telephones, keyboards) need to be wiped with disinfectant or Surface wipes regularly.
- Promote regular and thorough handwashing by employees, contractors, customers, and visitors. Signage is perfect for or Display branded posters promoting handwashing.
- Think about investing in permanent branded sanitising stations in prominent places around the workplace. These are also good advertising opportunities.
- Are your Sanitising dispensers regularly refilled? Do you have backed up supplies?
- Ensure that face masks and / or paper tissues are available at your workplaces, for those who develop a runny nose or cough at work, along with closed bins for hygienically. Ensure you have plenty of stock and replacements.
The Covid-19 Pandemic has offered a unique opportunity for ALL organisations to take stock and review their current and ongoing hygiene measures, not only for the safety of themselves but staff, colleagues and everyone else in the community too - Covid-19 related or not !
TSS Hygiene have countless solutions, services and product supply to support our customers in this fight, ensuring that they are well positioned to play their part in the battle against Covid-19 this Winter.
Contact our team today and find out how TSSHygiene can support your business hygiene solutions this winter.
#StaySafe #HygieneMatters #HygieneServices